Making handmade paper from paper scraps is a very satisfying process. It makes use of some of the scrap paper you have lying around and gives you beautiful usable paper.
Handmade paper craft is a good rainy day activity for kids as well. You might have seen plenty of videos or tutorials on how to make paper. There are many ways, with tools and without, on how to make paper at home.
This tutorial shows how to make paper without a blender or any other fancy paper-making tools. You can even make paper without a screen. I’ve used a splatter shield I had in the kitchen. You could even try it with a cheesecloth or a net fabric.
I started small because I wanted to test out the process. I used 2 invoices from my online shopping orders to make a small 6 inch piece of handmade paper.
- 2 A4-sized paper torn into small pieces
- Mortar & pestle
- Food colour (optional)
- Small leaves and flowers (optional)
- Any net or flat sieve
- Cotton cloth
- Soak the pieces of paper in water for at least 2-3 hours.
- Drain the water and pound the paper into a pulp.
- In a bowl, take about a cup of water.
- Add the paper pulp and food colour if using.
- Mix it well.
- Pour this over the sieve. The paper pulp will remain.
- Gently gather the pulp and shape it as you want, patting it gently to drain the water and give it an even surface.
- Place leaves or flower petals if using.
- Flip it over a cotton cloth and let it dry for a few hours.
- Your homemade paper is ready for use.
I used a lot of big petals so I couldn’t write on it. Instead, I used it to decorate my journal spread.
Have you tried making paper at home? Do you have any tips and tricks?