Pickled in the Indian context is very different from the Western one. I have never tried making Indian pickles because they are so readily available that I don’t feel the need to make the effort.
I’m going to just list things you can pickle with a sugar and vinegar brine to be used in salads and sandwiches. Fermented foods are also a great source of good bacteria that aids better digestion.
Ingredients for the brine:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar (white or half and half with apple cider vinegar)
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Boil all the ingredients together and let it cool.
Things you can pickle:
- Onions (cut into thins strips)
- Jalapeno peppers
- Cabbage (or purple cabbage shredded)
- Carrots (grated or sliced)
- Ginger (thinly sliced)
- Anything else that won’t turn into mush
- Put the slices/strips into a lidded container and pour the brine enough to cover all pieces.
- Store in the fridge. It will last a few weeks.
These taste great in salads and sandwiches, but also on cheese and crackers when you feel peckish.
You can even take it a step further and combine with other spices like adding peppercorns and dill.